water fun at Auntie Suzy's house

at the beach with cousin Andrea

Carly's dance recital

beach day

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Beginning

As many of you know, Abby has undergone many tests to figure out what her diagnosis is. I wanted to give you a little history in how it all began. Cori had mentioned to me last Fall her concern about Abby awakening several times in her sleep to drink water and urinate, sometimes up to 5 times a night. In December Abby went to her Pediatrician. Her doctor said she was a "classic case of diabetes insipidus". This type of diabetes is considered "water diabetes"  and not the common sugar diabetes. So, why does she have this? A common cause is a tumor on your pituitary gland in your brain. After Abby's pediatrician visit in December, she was sent to Children's Hospital in San Diego that day for an MRI of her brain. At that time, a tumor was not seen but it was noticed an absent pituitary "bright spot". In short, she was experiencing declining pituitary function. Abby then met with an Endocrinologist who performed many blood tests and she is now on hormones to replace the ones her body is not producing naturally. She will be on these hormones for her lifetime. Tests continued. Abby then had a spinal puncture (spinal tap) in January which showed no cancer cells in her cerebral spinal fluid. Positive news, although doctors informed Cori and Craig that she has elevated levels of proteins ( I don't know which ones) in her blood and cerebral spinal fluid. The doctors were confident that a tumor was forming. On February 24 a sedated MRI was performed and at that time it showed an enhancing mass on the pituitary stalk. Most likely the diagnosis is a germinoma which is a form of cancer and not operable. With this information we went to Children's Hospital in Los Angeles for a consultation/second opinion from a Neuro Oncologist there. Doctors in SD and LA are in agreement. The doctor in LA recommended a bone survey and MRI of the spine to rule out Langerhans Cell Histiocytosis (LCH), which are bone lesions an also considered a form of cancer. There is a 10-15% chance of this diagnosis. Abby will have the MRI and bone survey sometime this week. If these tests come back negative, Abby will require a brain biopsy. She will most likely require chemo and radiation.

I know all of this information is detailed an overwhelming. As a family, we are trying to understand it all and support Cori, Craig, Abby, Mason and Carly. I wanted to create this blog to keep everyone informed of Abby's journey and upcoming treatments. Also, to offer support and love for Abby and her family. I will update the blog as I receive more information. 

In the meantime, please keep Abby and her family in your thoughts and prayers. The doctor in LA assured us that this is highly treatable and curable with minimal to hopefully no long term effects. I know she WILL be okay. It is going to be a long rough road, but together we will help her get there! 

3 comments:

  1. As a teacher who does not have any children of my own yet, I treat each student in my class like they are one of mine. When anyone asks me "Do you have any children?" I always answer "Yes, I have 20":) One of those 20 that I have this year is Abby. What a true blessing it is having her in my class. You talk about a trooper...After every doctor's appointment or after Abby would have to have some test done she would come back to school with a HUGE smile on her face and tell me all about it. One time she came back after having some blood work done and said ,"Mrs. T, Look! (showing me where they had to draw blood) They had to try lots of times to get blood out of me and they couldn't." She puts a smile on my face and the other students faces everyday. I pray daily for Abby, and her family and know that one day she will be able to look back and have a great story to tell about this whole adventure:) Thank you so much Julie for making this Blog:)

    Sarah Tostado (Mrs. T)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sending ribbons of love to you Abby - in all of the colors of the rainbow. You are such a big girl now! I'm certain that you are the best big sister ever.

    My prayers are with you and your family during this journey.

    Ms. Maureen (Abby's preschool teacher)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby and the Radke Family,

    We are praying for you and thinking of you constantly. Abby, you are a strong girl, and you WILL make it through this. We are a stones throw away if you need anything.

    XXOO-The Connor Fam

    ReplyDelete